Net-Zero Renovations & Deep-Energy Retrofits
NET-ZERO ENERGY RETROFIT
Solar Homes Inc.'s first project was the renovation of founder Peter Darlington's mid-1980s built single-family home. Net-zero energy status was reached by installing proper insulation, high-performing windows, energy efficient mechanical equipment and appliances, as well as a solar array on top of Peter's new garage.
- Air tightness rating of 1.0 air changes per hour at 50 Pascals (ACH50)
- Triple-glazed windows
- Air-source heat pumps (for air and hot water heating)
- Heat recovery ventilation
- 10.2 kW grid-tied solar array
- Bidirectional ENMAX electrical meter
MODULAR RESIDENTIAL BUILDING ON AGRICULTURAL PROPERTY
Water Valley, Alberta
This project involved the construction of a modular home on an agricultural property. It includes a solar array used to power the home heating system and power outlets, as well as the outlets in the nearby workshop (already in place). The home's heating was provided by a geothermal system with combination forced air and radiant heat.
- Seasonally adjustable 20 kW solar array
- Ground loop geothermal system
- Staggered stud wall construction